I thought I would adapt the ‘socca‘ that I made a few weeks ago and make a chickpea pizza! So, as you would have read from that post, chickpea (or besan) flour is a great substitute for normal flour and it is gluten-free! This pizza has more of a spongy texture almost a bit similar to polenta! I love chickpea Pizza’s I find they are filling and satisfying all at the same time!
So, this is my Friday night treat and as with any Pizza you can use any toppings you like! Really nice served with some fresh dressed rocket or spinach leaves.
You will need:
For the base:
115 g chickpea flour
1 tbsp olive oil
1’2 tsp of salt and pepper
1 egg white, whisked to soft peaks
For the topping:
150 g cherry tomatoes, halved
4 asparagus spears chopped
1 x buffalo mozzarella ball **optional
4 x thyme sprigs
1/4 cup of kalamata olives, halved
300g of brown onions sliced into rings
- Preheat the oven to 130 degrees C. Place the tomatoes on a large baking tray, season them and add some olive/coconut oil. Roast for around 25 minutes.
- Meanwhile heat around 2tbsp of olive oil in a pan and add the onion rings on a high heat. Season and add the thyme. Reduce the heat after about a minute or so and cook for around 15-20 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are cooked increase the oven temperature to 150-170 degrees C.
- For the chickpea pizza bases put the besan flour, water, the olive oil and the salt and pepper into a bowl and mix through. Whisk the eggs to soft peaks and fold into the batter.
- Take a small frying pan and lightly coat in olive oil, heat for a couple of minutes. Add half of the chickpea batter and wait for air pockets to form on the surface, once this happens flip the base over and cook for another minute. Do the same with the rest of the batter.
- Transfer to a lined baking tray which has been lightly coated in olive oil.
- Quickly blister the asparagus for a couple of minutes in a hot pan with a small amount of oil. Place to one side.
- Spread the onions, tomatoes, asparagus, olives on the bases.
- Top with torn mozzarella (**optional) and thyme.
- Place into the oven for 5-10 minutes or until the mozzarella is bubbling.
- Enjoy x x