I am NOT a serial ‘clean-eater’ and I would hate to think of myself as ‘preachy’ about diet and exercise. I really believe that everyones journey is different and sometimes you just have to listen to your body and respond. I am all about implementing ‘healthy habits’ with food…..things that become your daily rituals!
I am most certainly not perfect when it comes to my diet but I have learn’t a few things about mindful eating. Things that I want to share with all of you….hopefully you might be able to adopt some of my easy approaches to eating well.
My top tips for mindful eating:
- Work out when you are hungry. Often we eat because we are ‘scheduled’ to do so, for example on a lunch break. Instead try to relax and work out if you are actually hungry. Every day can be different depending on your workload, how much exercise you’ve done, hormonal needs and so on. Try and work out when it is you are actually hungry and fuel with mindful snacks or meals. This is just as important for the reverse…don’t wait until you are starving and all you can think about is a big bowl of parmagiana……feed your hunger with a smoothie, coconut water, small handful of nuts to keep those hunger pains at bay.
- When you have decided it’s your time to eat make sure you savour your food and eat every mouthful with enjoyment (i.e slowly). Chewing your food slowly will bring more satisfaction and you will more than likely eat less…it’s not a race!!
- Along with slowly enjoying your food give yourself time to relax and enjoy your food free from distractions. That might mean going outside for your lunch, turning your phone off, sitting away from your computer, spending it with friends. Give your brain a moment to switch off and enjoy the simple pleasure of eating.
- Try and work out when you’ve had enough. This is also something that will change from day to day but try and see if you can limit your intake so you don’t reach your maximum fullness. Feeling full will not only make you feel sluggish and possibly bloated it is often not necessary. Are you bored? Are you thirsty? Are you dehydrated? Think about these things first.
- Really think about your food and portion size. Think about where it has come from, what it contains, is it natural?, how is it going to make you feel? Ask yourself: how is this meal going to nourish me? Often these simple things will make you think twice about what you are eating.
- Educate yourself on nutrition. I know it can be a bit of a minefield these days with different diets, food intolerances, fads and so on but do some research into simple nutrition. Find a person in the healthy culinary world who inspires you. Buy their book and learn some of their recipes and healthy rituals that you can implement into your daily life. Keep it simple.
- Notice how you feel when you have been eating ‘well’. I know I always notice my clear skin, clear head, bounce in my step and happiness. If you experience this once you will be craving for it again and again.
- Don’t be too hard on yourself. Yes, sometimes we are caught out and the only option is a sandwich from the service station…don’t beat yourself up about it. Its meant to be a journey and something that you can change over time. We all have healthy phases and unhealthy phases….it’s called life! Being mindful is a choice you will make when you are ready to cultivate awareness from within….baby steps!
- Enjoy your food….it is one of life’s little pleasures! Be grateful for your plate of food and the work that has gone in to making it…..don’t just shovel it in like there is no tomorrow! Show appreciation and gratitude for your beautiful plate of goodness.
If you have any more tips for mindful eating or feedback from this post I would love to hear from you in the comments below!
Sophie x x