I have been putting harissa on everything lately so I thought I’d share with you one of my new favourite combo’s 🙂
No surprises it includes kale and quinoa too! I have been making this so much lately because it is SO YUM!!
Please let me know if you make this recipe and if you are addicted like me!
You will need:
1 cup of kale, stalk removed and torn into pieces
I cup of cooked quinoa
1/2 a red onion, diced
1 cup of cherry tomatoes, halved
1 cup of button mushrooms, halved
2 dried apricots, sliced finely (optional)
sprinkling of pepitas
for the Harissa:
1 garlic clove, skin off
1 large red pepper, roasted
1 tbsp. dried hot red chillies (chipotles are my favourite)
1 large red chilli
55ml extra virgin olive oil
3 tsp cumin seeds
3 tsp caraway seeds
100ml tomato passata
1 tbsp. tomato paste
4 tsp salt flakes
Juice from 1/2 lemon
- Firstmake the harissa: pour boiling water over the dried chillies and allow to soak for 20-30 minutes. Toast the caraway and cumin seeds in a dry pan over a medium heat. Move them around so that they don’t burn. Drain the chillies and add to a high speed blender with the rest of the ingredients and the toasted seeds and blend until desired consistency. I blend mine on a lower setting and keep the consistency chunky. Place to one side
- Cook the quinoa: rinse the quinoa until the water runs clear, place the rinsed quinoa into a pan with 2 cups of water and a dash of apple cider vinegar. Bring the water to a boil and then reduce to a simmer until all the water has absorbed (around 10 – 15 minutes). Leave the quinoa in the pan to cool.
- Massage the kale with olive oil, salt and pepper until kale is limp.
- On a medium heat, pop a pan on the hob with some olive oil. Allow to heat and add the onions. Fry making sure they don’t catch. Add the mushrooms and fry for a few minutes then add the cherry tomatoes and the kale. Fry for a few minutes and then add a splash of water to help the kale to steam slightly.
- Add the quinoa, kale and fried vegetables to a serving bowl. Dollop with harissa and sprinkle with the apricots and pepitas.
- Enjoy x x
Please let me know how you found this recipe and if you would like to see more x x