As you may have seen from my other energy ball recipes they often contain natural sugar derived from dried fruit such as dates, apricots, sultanas and so on. I thought I would come up with a low-sugar recipe for all of you who are trying to watch your sugar intake and possibly lose weight.
I had to throw some turmeric in them because it’s one of my favourite spices and has so many health benefits. Turmeric is a natural anti-inflammatory and antioxidant as well as helping with indigestion and weightloss, it is also said to improve brain function and reduce heart disease! I just love the earthy spicy flavour and it goes so well with the lemon and coconut. Just eat with caution as it will stain EVERYTHING!
You will need:
2 tbsp flaxmeal
2 tsp cinnamon
8 organic stevia drops
4 tbsp nut butter
2 tbsp Psyllium Husk
4 tbsp mixed seeds
1/2 cup shredded coconut
zest of half a lemon
zest of half an orange
juice of half a lemon
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp turmeric
2 tbsp hot water
Makes approx 12 balls
- Combine all of the ingredients into a blender such as the Vitamix (except for the topping). Blend on a low setting and use a tamper to combine as the mixture becomes moist. I like to leave mine with a few larger pieces of the nuts and seeds!
- Put the mixture into a mixing bowl. Use tablespoon measures for each ball and roll between your hands.
- Roll the balls in the coconut and maca
- Pop the balls onto a baking tray and place into the freezer for at least 1/2 an hour.
- These can be left in the fridge for up to a week or in the freezer for up to 3 months….just pull them out as you need them or the night before!
- Enjoy xx
- you can use a variety of other toppings to roll the balls in: chia seeds, sesame seeds, cacao nibs, acai powder and cinnamon.