Minestrone Verde is one of my favourite warming, comforting soups. I love the broth that accompanies the vegetables and pasta. I wanted to make something brothy with broccoli and beans and I came up with this. I hope you enjoy it as much as I did! It’s always a good sign when I’m eager to make it again after only just finishing it – I think this will be on repeat for a while!!
You will need:
1tbsp extra virgin olive oil
1 lemon (juice and rind)
2 cloves or garlic, crushed
I brown onion, sliced
1 litre vegetable stock (or a vegetable broth if you want more flavour)
150g of small shaped pasta (I used quinoa macaroni)
1 small head of broccoli (just the florets)
1 cup of shredded green cabbage
1/2 cup of frozen peas
300g tinned cannellini beans
salt and pepper
a handful of mint leaves
grated parmesan for garnishing
warmed French baguette for serving
- Heat your oven to 150 C and warm your baguette
- Heat the oil in a medium pan over a medium heat. Add the onion, garlic, salt, pepper and cook until softened and translucent (around 4 minutes).
- Add the stock or broth and bring to the boil.
- Add the pasta and cook for 5 minutes
- Add the broccoli, peas and cabbage, cook for a further two minutes
- Add in the beans and cook until the pasta is al dente.
- Add boiled water if you want more broth
- Serve into bowls, add the lemon juice, rind, parmesan and mint leaves
- Enjoy with your warmed baguette
- Season to taste
- Leave the parmesan out for vegans (you could add nutritional yeast instead)
- If you don’t like it too lemony just use half a lemon (I LOVE lemon so its hard to gage)
- Broken bits of spaghetti also work well if you don’t have small shaped pasta to hand
Enjoy x x