YUMMM!! Nothing beats roasted vegetable skewers on a bed of spiced warm freekeh. This dish is so good for you, is low fat and easy to prepare! I love the addition of the spiced tomato sauce – I usually mix this through the freekeh which makes something similar to a Freekeh risotto 🙂
You will need:
2 x onions
2 x zucchini
2 x eggplant
1 x red pepper (capsicum)
6 x cherry tomatoes
1 cup Freekeh
Apple Cider Vinegar
Micro herbs (optional garnish)
For the tomato salsa:
20 x cherry tomatoes – roasted
4 x cloves of garlic – roasted
2 tsp smoked Paprika
salt and pepper
- Wash your Freekeh thoroughly. Place into a medium saucepan with 4 cups of water and a dash of Apple Cider Vinegar. Bring to the boil and then reduce to a simmer until cooked. Around 20 – 25 minutes. Drain any excess water and leave to one side in a large bowl. Dress with a dash of olive oil and the juice of a quarter of lemon.
- Pre-heat your barbecue or griddle pan on a medium heat with some olive oil.
- Chop and prepare your vegetables in big chunks, then skewer onto skewers.
- Wash and prepare the cherry tomatoes and garlic for the sauce. Place into a roasting tray or straight onto the barbecue/griddle – roast until done.
- Roast the vegetable skewers until char-grilled or cooked to your liking.
- Place the tomatoes and garlic into a blender with the Paprika.
- Serve the Freekeh and skewers onto plates. Feel free to drizzle the sauce over the skewers or into the Freekeh.
- Season to taste
Enjoy x x
- You could substitute the Freekeh for Quinoa, Cauliflower rice or brown rice