It’s that time of year again…..and I’m NOT complaining! Its SOUP time. Growing up in the UK I had my fair share of soups and I can’t think of anything more yummy and satisfying on a cold winters day! I guess you could say this soup has a mexican theme with the sweetcorn, smoked paprika and garlic flatbreads 🙂 I like to blend this soup until its really smooth but feel free to blend three quarters and leave a quarter to make it chunky!
You will need:
Smoked Paprika soup:
1 brown onion, diced
2 corns on the cob, kernels shaved
3 celery sticks, chopped
350g pumpkin, diced
zest of 1/2 lime
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp chilli flakes
1-2 tsp smoked paprika
1-1.5 litres of water
a handful of torn coriander
3 tbsp olive oil
Crispy herb flatbreads:
1 clove garlic
1/4 cup coriander
1/2 tsp chilli flakes
juice of 1 lime
1/4 cup of olive oil
small pinch of cumin and smoked paprika
flatbreads – I used spelt vegan flatbreads
- Heat the olive oil in a medium pan and add the onion, celery, ground cumin and salt. Sauté for around 10 minutes to soften the vegetables.
- Add the pumpkin, paprika, chilli flakes, lime zest and water and bring to the boil. Simmer for approx 15 minutes – or until the pumpkin is cooked.
- Add the corn and cook for a further 6-8 minutes.
- Once cooked, place the soup into a high speed blender and blend to desired consistency. If it is too thick add some more water. Leave on a low heat on the stove too keep warm.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 200 degrees C
- For the flatbreads: place all of the ingredients apart from the flatbreads into a high speed blender and blitz. Place into a bowl.
- Brush the flatbreads with the herb oil and place into the oven for 2-5 minutes. If you want more of a bread take out now and enjoy. If you want a crispy flatbread turn over and brush the oil onto the other side and repeat the step above.
- Remove from the oven and break the bread onto the soup.
- Serve the soup into bowls topped with paprika and the crispy flatbread
- x x