Wherever your feet will take you you’ll get there safe and sound
I was thinking recently about the things I NEED to perform well when I’m exercising and how I get the most out of working up a sweat! When I was new to exercise it took me so long to work out what I needed to buy, what mindset I should adopt and how to keep the motivation running high.
Instead of you guys having to do the same thing I thought I would make it easy and write it all in a post to get you off on the right foot!
- MINDSET – Find something you love: If Boxing isn’t really your thing then don’t do it….at least not yet! Do the things that make you smile while you’re working up a sweat! I love running more than going to the gym and I find it gives helps me with stress relief and mental clarity. Once I’m in a routine with my running I will add in the gym and a bit of yoga/dance when I can. Soon enough you will love all aspects of your training regime and be open to trying new things!
- COMFORT – Wear something you feel comfortable in: There is NOTHING WORSE than constantly pulling up your leggings or feeling self conscious in that crop top you bought. Find an activewear brand you love and enjoy working out in comfort – because lets face it, when you’re doing 20 rounds of burpees the last thing you want to worry about is constantly adjusting your outfit.
- BE PREPARED – Create your own SOS kit: I have had many disasters with uncomfortable sneakers, especially being a runner! The thing I struggle with the most is blisters and there is nothing worse than having a blister when you are in the zone with your training. Recently, I’ve discovered Elastoplast Blister Plasters , which are helping me prevent blisters and recover from them if I get one! I have been using the XL Blister Plasters and the SOS Mix Pack and they are a gym bag staple. The XL Blister Plasters are a must have if you are a runner as they are suitable for the soles of the feet, sides and heels – I always get blisters on the sides of my foot! Another great thing with them is if you think you might be getting a blister you can apply them straight to the shoe to prevent the blister from coming – the SOS Mix Pack includes a cut to size option which is perfect for this. I am not someone who can exercise through a blister so I always like to have these on hand in case of emergency.
- PLAYLIST – make a good sweat friendly playlist: I love to listen to ‘Workout beats’ on Spotify especially when I’m in the gym! I find this gets me in the zone and helps me focus on my training.
- HOME GYM – start building up your at-home gym accessories: I have dumb-bells, a swisse ball, skipping rope, resistance bands, and a yoga mat at home. 80% of the time I go to the gym or go for my run but I like having the option of doing a quick workout at home if I am pushed for time.
- NOURISH – abs are made in the kitchen: ever heard that expression?? Simplicity is the key, forget high protein this, low carb that, protein shakes at these times and so on, just keep it simple. My general rule when I’m getting back on track with my diet is to only eat natural ingredients like fruit vegetables and fish. No desserts, no alcohol, no bread/rice and no refined sugar. I use olive oil/coconut oil, quinoa, apple cider vinegar, nut milks, seasonings and so on to make things taste yummy.
- HAVE FUN – get the most out of your exercise regime: I like to make my workouts as fun as possible. Think about involving your friends or loved ones so that you can motivate and keep each other accountable. Try new and exciting classes like aerial yoga, trampolining or stand up paddle boarding and make a day out of it!
If you have any essentials you can’t live without when you are exercising then please leave me a comment below as I’d love to hear from you! X x
Photography: Rob Mulally