Stuffed peppers…so simple yet so satisfying! This is how I usually do mine but you can be inventive with your stuffings to suit your desires. Freekeh also works really well along with rice, cous cous, most vegetables and lots of different cheeses and herbs and spices!
Also, these are great from frozen. Just let them thaw in the fridge overnight and re-heat (preferably in the oven but you can use a microwave if necessary). I usually make quite a few so that I can stock up my freezer (perfect meal prep options and so yummy!)
You will need:
1 cup Quinoa
Juice of half a lemon
1 red onion
2 cloves garlic
1 small sweet potato, cubed and cooked
10 button mushrooms, quartered
1-2 courgette (zucchini)
small bunch of continental parsley
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp turmeric
1/4 cup pine nuts
4 x peppers (capsicum) – I use red and yellow
- Preheat your oven to 150 C
- Rinse your quinoa until the water runs clear. Pop it into a pan with 2 cups of oiling water and the lemon juice. Let it boil for a few minutes before reducing to a simmer for 15-20 minutes (or until all the water is absorbed and the quinoa is fluffy).
- Cook your sweet potato, I like to steam mine.
- Fry off your onion and garlic until translucent. Add your mushrooms, zucchini, cinnamon, pine nuts and turmeric. Allow to fry for around 5-10 minutes.
- Once cooked, add this mix to a large mixing bowl with the cooked sweet potato and quinoa.
- Add your cheese and mix together thoroughly.
- Season the mixture.
- Slice your pepper in half (lengthways) and lay them onto a baking tray lined with baking paper.
- Stuff the peppers with the mix and bake for around 15 minutes.
- Serve with a fresh salad and garnish with the chopped parsley
- Enjoy x x
- I used sheep milk cheese for this recipe, you can use any cheese really – feta works really well.
- If you are lactose intolerant you can omit the cheese and it is just as delicious
- These can be frozen and are perfect for meal prep
Please let me know if you enjoy this recipe and if you have any feedback on this post! I love to hear from you! Sophie x x